• You are here:
  • Home

Please be aware of the danger of Lillies to cats

10 March 2018
Please be aware of the danger of Lillies to cats

With Mothers day just around the corner, many people will be thinking of buying a beautiful bouquet of flowers for their mum's, but please be aware of the danger of Lillies to cats.

Lilies are very poisonous to cats and can cause them to go into kidney failure. It is believed that all parts of the plant are poisonous with even a small exposure to the pollen being potentially very dangerous. Cats can be affected after eating 
parts of the plant or simply by brushing past the flower and then grooming the pollen from the fur.

There have been several very sad press reports of poisonings in cases where cat owners clearly loved their cats and were simply unaware of the toxicity of lilies to them, which can be fatal. It seems that despite the warnings now placed on lily bunches by many supermarkets, many cat-owning purchasers still are not aware of the issue.

The Cat Group, of which CP is a member, originally wrote to supermarkets back in 2005 and asked supermarkets to include this warning on the upward-facing part of front labels of all bouquets containing lilies: ‘Caution: all parts of lilies are toxic to cats’.

All the supermarkets include a warning about lilies posing a risk to pets, and additionally Interflora include a warning in their flower care booklet.

If you suspect your cat has eaten a poisonous plant then please contact your vet immediately. Don't wait for signs of illness to appear as by then it could be too late to save your cat. 

For further details on other plants that are toxic to cats, please click on the following URL: